Employment Salary and Benefits of Resident Physicians
I. Employment Salary
1. A salary of NT$65,798 to $78,490 shall be paid to a resident physician within the first five years of service (overtime pay not included).
(1) For those employed after January 16, 2000, when the Medical Personnel Act took effect, a resident physician without a physician’s certificate shall be paid as an intern physician while a resident physician with such a certificate of physician shall be paid a standard salary as a full resident physician in accordance with the Regulations on Employment of Resident Physicians.
(2) An intern physician is paid a salary of NT$40,871. The salary for the first month shall be paid proportionally if the intern physician is not employed on the first day of the month.
(3) An intern physician who subsequently (or afterwards) obtains a physician certificate shall be employed and paid a regular salary as a full resident physician in accordance with the salary standards stipulated in the Regulations on the Employment of Resident Physicians. The salary for the first month shall be paid proportionally if the certificate is not issued on the first day of the month.
(4)Those who do not reside in a dormitory shall each receive a travel allowance of NT$756 per month and extra duty allowances.
2. Extra Duty Allowance
(1) Those who work on a shift duty in hospital shall receive a daily shift duty allowance of NT$900.
(2) A daily on-call duty allowance of NT$450 shall be paid to those who report to perform duties in a hospital, while a daily on-call duty allowance of NT$900 shall be paid to those who report to perform operations in a hospital.
3. Performance Bonus
The performance bonus shall be determined and distributed by each department.
4. Travel Subsidy
During any holiday period on weekdays from Monday to Friday within two weeks of mandatory vacation in a year, those who travel domestically to any places out of the city or county, where the workplace is located, and make consumption at any retailers that display the logo of National Travel Card (Taiwan Touch Your Heart) are entitled to receive an imbursement of no less than two counts of expenses on separate dates with travel card receipts (Note: the government encourages civil servants to spend money to stimulate economy. Mandatory vacation is also one of the measures). A subsidy shall be granted to cover the exact amount specified on a given receipt. The annual subsidy can amount to a maximum of NT$16,000, and those who fail to use up two weeks of mandatory vacation shall be subsidized proportionally with a grant of NT$1,143 per day of unused vacation. Those who have used up 14 days of mandatory vacation shall be granted a domestic vacation subsidy of NT$600 per day for other holidays. Overtime pay for work on holidays shall be issued with the approval of the authorities in consideration of business needs. These rules have been in effect since January 1, 2004.
(1) With one year of service, a resident physician shall be granted seven days of vacation annually from the second year of employment.
(2) With three years of service, a resident physician shall be granted fourteen days of vacation annually from the fourth year of employment.
2. Hospital Dormitory Complex
Both resident physicians and resident physicians-in-training at NCKUH are entitled to reside in the dormitory.
Resident physicians shall pay a monthly fee of NT$500 per person for water
and electricity consumption, and resident physicians-in-training shall pay a
monthly fee of NT$1,600 per person for water and electricity consumption.
All residents shall pay a management fee of NT$500, an Internet fee of
NT$110 and a deposit of NT$3,000.
The dormitory complex has a swimming pool, a restaurant, an aerobics classroom, a billiard room, ping pong room, a fitness center, reading rooms, audio-visual rooms, a social hall, general classrooms, cosmetics and skincare salons, a coin-operated laundry, and a 24-hour monitoring system.
3. Preferential Medical Services
Regular staff members of NCKUH are entitled to a 20% discount for a medical service, while their dependents are entitled to a 10% discount for a medical service.
(1) Contracted physicians are required to join the labor insurance program.
(2) Contracted physicians receive medical payments coverage from the National Health Insurance Program.
5. Emergency Relief Loan (repaid in four years with a monthly interest of 0.4%)
(1) A regular employee is entitled to borrow a maximum of NT$500,000 for hospitalized treatment of a serious illness.
(2) A dependent of a regular employee is entitled to borrow a maximum of NT$500,000 for hospitalized treatment of a serious illness.
(3) A regular employee is entitled to borrow a maximum of NT$500,000 for the funeral affairs of a dependent.
(4) A maximum of NT$500,000 can be borrow ed for expenses related to a major disaster.
6. Employee Discounts
(1) All employees are entitled to a discount of 10%-15% for any purchase at the snack shop and a discount of 10% at the Uni-President convenience store (both stores are on the first floor of the hospital).
(2) All employees are entitled to a discount of 20% for any purchase at the restaurant, the barber’s shop and the laundry on the first basement floor.
(3) All employees are entitled to a discount of 10%-15% for any purchase at any retailer in the Minsheng Plaza on the second floor of the hospital.
7. Medical Aid Fund
Every resident physician at NCKUH shall have NT$100 deducted every month from their salary as payment for the medical aid fund. In case of medical emergency, everybody is entitled to a maximal subsidy of NT$300,000.
(1) A new resident physician shall receive two uniforms from the Materials Supply Office with an arrival procedure form. Two uniforms shall be added every year from the annual budget.
(2) Free laundry: Uniforms for doctors are available at all times (in the medical uniform dressing room, Laundry and Sewing Section, Materials Supply Office on the second basement floor).
(1) The Li-Hsin Automobile Parking Lot, opposite the hospital, is available for employees for an annual parking fee of NT$2,000.
(2) A motorcycle parking lot is available on Tung-Feng Road by the side of the hospital for a monthly fee of NT$80 for a sheltered area and of NT$60 for an unsheltered area.
10. NCKU Kindergarten
The children of employees at NCKU, the Medical College and NCKUH are entitled to apply for admission into the university kindergarten, located on Cheng Kung campus.
11. Paper Publication
Those who have had their papers published in journals in Taiwan or abroad are entitled to apply for a maximum subsidy of NT$4,000 for expenses related to the publication of additional pages and complimentary reprints.
12. Department with Difficulty in Recruiting Talented Employees
Resident physicians who are invited to present papers in an international conference abroad are entitled to apply for subsidies from the hospital. Each physician is subject to one application per year for a maximum subsidy of NT$30,000 (round-trip flight ticket and registration) with an official leave of absence.
13. Free Hepatitis B Vaccine Injection
NCKUH employees who need to receive the hepatitis B vaccine shall be given it free of charge by the hospital.
14. Doctor’s Day
An annual fellowship banquet shall be held to show appreciation to all NCKUH physicians.